Monday, January 24, 2011

Losing Weight and Being Healthy

Finally, after years of grousing about my weight and wishing I were thinner I joined Weight Watchers again! I've been on their plan twice before and was successful both times so I went back to it and this time joined with a friend. That was the first week of May 2010. Now here we are the 24th of January, 2011 and I am 36 lbs lighter with my lifetime goal in sight, only 8 pounds to go! I'm very happy that I have been successful and hope to keep this weight off the rest of my life. If anything, I've learned that I need the structure and peer support that Weight Watchers provides to stay with the program.
I've done a lot of thinking and reading about being over weight and the best way to lose those pounds and keep them off. There is a lot of advice "out there" and all kinds of fashionable diets, popular books, and testimonials. Right now I'm reading a best-selling book by Rory Freeman and Kim Barnouin titled "Skinny Bitch". The book is a gift from my sister and I find it to be cleverly written and full of good advice, most of which I don't plan to follow. The authors say the best (and maybe the only) way to get thin, stay thin, and be healthy is to become a vegan and give up all meat, eggs, and dairy products. It's not that I disagree with them but I am not willing to make such a drastic change in my eating habits. I did go out and buy a carton of coconut milk to try in my oatmeal in an effort to avoid all the hormones and antibiotics found in cow's milk.
So here I am at the beginning of a new year carrying much less weight around on my arthritic knees and feeling good about myself. I hope I can continue this self-improvment program throughout the year and add regular exercise to my daily regime.

No comments:

Post a Comment